The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

First Field Trip


This was the beginning of the first field trip I sent the Blisshaven class on, back in '04. I'll post the next four or five strips in the series over the next few days. It was also the first multi-part story, or "story arc" as those in the know call it, though it pretty much led nowhere. Except to the National Gallery, where the floors are slippery.

5 comments:

Mark Anderson said...

My Mrs., the 1st grade teacher, loved this.

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Thus marks the beginning of Miss Bliss' nervous breakdown.

Kid Shay said...

That kid better enjoy his day in the sun, because it's all downhill from there.

richardcthompson said...

Thanks Mark, and my regards to Mrs. A; 1st grade teachers are the most important ones.

HTGT, somwhere in Calvin & Hobbes it's mentioned that Miss Wormwood was probably a drinker. I'm guessing Miss Bliss likes a margarita now and then.

Kid, yep, he's peaked. That's Marcus, the first time I drew him, and I suddenly like the shape of his old head more than his current one.

Mike Rhode said...

Those floors also hurt your back and feet after a while.