The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Today's Cul de Sac, October 6 2010


I really should find some explanation for Sofie, but I haven't thought of one yet. Though I am guessing she's a part-time student at Blisshaven Preschool, as that would explain her infrequent attendance. When I started doing the strip I assumed everything needed to be thought through and justified. But nope, most of it's just slapped together, with hopes that the logic behind it will emerge with time. I'd hate to call it faith-based, but there ya go.

Meanwhile, look at the funny face Beni's making!

7 comments:

SCOTTtheBADGER said...

I know who Sofie is. Look at the dress she has on, the colors may not be the same, but the dress itself is. Look at the shape of her open mouth. Sofie is Lucy Van Pelt's daughter.

Anonymous said...

Beni the zombie, heh heh heh. But Alice's face is pretty good in P2, too.

Anonymous said...

I love all the expressions in this strip.

Might be that one of the people raising Sofie works part-time, so some days they drop her and others she stays at home.

Alexandre Maki said...

At first I thought Sofie was Ms. Bliss' daughter who lives far away (maybe with an aunt or grandma). That's why she only showed up during vacation time. But that would be a little too farfetched.

So maybe she's just Ms. Bliss' niece. Or even Timmy Fretwork's niece. Although, in my mind, she's still the illegitimate child of this odd couple.

todd said...

i agree. i thought she was ms. bliss' niece who came for the summer

Dale said...

"Never apologize, never explain," said Disraeli. Surely what works for English PMs ought to work for cartoonists?

Mike Rhode said...

I believe she's a left-over character from Frazz. You should return her.