The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Today's Cul de Sac, January 24 to 26, 2011

As we're getting a bit of snow here these seem almost timely, in a timeless comic strip way.
 Sure, blame the weatherman. Alice is talking about this, of course.
 Oh boy, crosshatching! It might've gotten a little dark for a snow cloud in that second panel. Hence the phrase, "Please help! I've crosshatched myself into a corner!"
I started to add a sound effect as the snow hit the ground in the third panel, but I remembered a Peanuts strip that had a flake hitting the ground making a loud and inappropriate noise, which was the gag, and I decided not to. And now I forget what that onomatopoeia was. "Plink?" "Blam?"

4 comments:

A. Duncan Carson said...

I found a similar one on google image wherein Snoopy somehow makes a CRUNCH noise when eating a snowflake...

joe said...

in my memory I recall it as a music chord or note. now that's going to bother me until I find it...

Anonymous said...

Richard!!! I *just* found your blog not 20 minutes ago via Weingarten's column from last week (I was catching up on my WaPo chats). What a thrill to know you're blogging now too, even if I'm 3 years too late to the party. You know I've always been a big fan of yours and even bigger since you launched Cul de Sac (it's my #1 fave strip, truly cracks me up). Hope you & the family have been doing great, take good care!

All the very best,
Kris H.
(aka your former Geographica POC from NGS like 27 eons ago... our dept. imploded some years back, you might've heard...)

richardcthompson said...

Hey A, I think there was one with a leaf falling off a tree too, and the noise was similarly loud and inappropriate.

Joe, sorry! I do that to my readers too often.

Hi Kris! Very nice to hear from you and I hope all's good with you. Ah, the Geographica days; I remember them fondly. You all were great to work with, you paid well and the deadlines were measured in months.