The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Unseen Cul de Sac; the Bay



I'm currently sitting at a table in my old friend Bono Mitchell's family Chesapeake Bay house, on Kent island, you cross the Bay Bridge and make a right, go 7 miles and boom, you're there. I was last here 23 years ago and from what I can tell, apart from ongoing upkeep and the usual small improvements, it hasn't changed at all, thank god.

So I thought it appropriate to inflict this old CdS on you. It's scanned from the Post by the indispensable Mike Rhode, because the original's somewhere in the depths of my studio. The Oterloops were on the way to one of the Maryland beaches, probably Geek's Neck, and you cross the Bay Bridge to get there.*

I'm, I think, justifiably proud of that view of the Bridge in panel 3.

*Please refer to your copy of the Map of Cul de Sac and Adjacent Places.

5 comments:

cartoonydan said...

Why is it when you have this wealth of information to pass on, your children have no interest in what you're saying then when they ask you something like, "Did you smoke marijuana when you were in college?" their little eyes and ears hang on every word.

Mister Fweem said...

I've been like this on trips with my kids. Including the cross-country journey on which they played on electronic keyboards the entire time, missing all the scenery.

Mike Lynch said...

All I can say is at this particular point in time, I have only read the first panel and I laughed. Always a good sign!

Neil J Murphy said...

I, too, like the view in panel three, but my favorite is panel 5, with Petey ignoring everything and Alice reaching for the crackers. But isn't she too old for a carseat? (See? I noticed the carseat, too.)

Andy said...

Oh, those talented squid.

What, did somebody say something about crackers? PULL OVER, DAD!